(Virtual Learning, Engagement,
and Achievement Platform)
Students, in grades 9-12, participating in this free experience will be a part of a community working with teachers, faculty, mentors, and peers in a meaningful, virtual educational summer experience. We will be teaching the curriculum in Microsoft’s AltspaceVR. Each section will be in a separate room. Each room will have a teacher, an assistant, and often a volunteer Virtual Reality monitor. Programming will be designed and delivered--via Schoology and in AltSpaceVR--by content experts from URI and high school teachers trained through CS4RI. Courses will have the support and mentoring of Rhode Island College students majoring in computer science.
- AltspaceVR Virtual Reality Platform
- Badges and micro-credentials
- Gamified learning experiences and challenges
- Alignment with district learning and Common Core
- Different tracks based on interest and competence
- Multiple access points for students
- Capture the Flag events
- Culminating experience and student awards
vLEAP--the virtual learning, engagement, and achievement platform – will provide two learning pathways; one for students new to computer science and a second for students with some experience.
- Artificial Intelligence Lab – is a comprehensive summer program to engage in computer science, data, and machine learning. Students will learn how to code in Scratch and Python before learning the basics of machine learning. For more details see this week by week breakdown. Student’s attending this program will meet Monday through Friday from 8:30 to 3:30 with a one-and-a-half-hour lunch break to attend the Innovation Café!
During lunch breaks, students can visit our Innovation Café to work with our partners to explore supplemental enrichment STEAM content with industry professionals each day (like NASA, PASA, DefCON401, and RIVR). Rhode Island College computer science students and industry virtual reality mentors will be on-hand to work with students.